Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Writers block
 

I'm working on my homework for typography class tomorrow. We have to pick a font for our name, something that represents us, and explain why. I've done this project before a couple of times. I did it just a year ago in fact, at which point in time I determined I was Akzidenz Grotesk. As I had a bit of free time on my hands this weekend, I decided what the heck, lets re-evaluate myself, and see if I've changed. To my surprise I had. I am not Gill Sans - regular. I know my reasoning behind my choice, and unlike others in my class, it is not because "I like it." I'll post my reasoning later, for those who are interested in seeing inside the twisted mind of a designer. After five years of studying fonts, I've become a bit of a snob. Although not as bad as some others I know.

Still, the challange remains to write out my thoughts, in a coherant way. A task which anyone who knows me, knows is not always easy. My mind jumps around from one topic to another, and I make connections which can be hard to follow. Generally though, I find a way to get my point across. Generally though, I do it in English. I've now realized that I have to explain myself in Italian, and I am learning this is no easy task. I stared at my name on my screen for about half an hour, before I decided it might be best to write it in English first. This turned out to be a good idea, as the words quickly flowed from my mind to the keyboard.

Now though, I've reached a wall. No for lack of knowing what I want to talk about, rather the opposite problem. I find myself at a point where I either have to dive in head first and turn my homework into an essay, or skim across the top. I look at the clock and realize that it is getting later, and that I still need to translate this sucker. I am willing to bet that I have already written more than anyone else in my class. Yet I am no where near finished. So I sit. And think. I must stay focused, and not get sidetracked. You've probably noticed that I like to write the way I talk, the way I think. This can sometimes be good, but can also be bad.

As I sat, my fingers no longer typing I realized what I needed. Bomber nachos and Heff. The perfect answer to writers block. Unfortunately I had neither. But I did have chips, cheese, and gaucamole. And boy were they yummy.



Now, a bit renewed, I sit at my computer again, and continue my task of explaining why I am indeed Gill Sans - regular.

posted by Lori @ 1:45 PM

5 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was really nice to meet you at the GTG, Lori! WHERE did you get that Guacamole?? I am mucho envious....

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home made baby! I'm adicted to the stuff. :D I think we should have a GTG at a mexican restraunt sometime, we get Italian everyday, time to spice it up a little!
Lori

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing your post I had to run out and get avocados and SO serendipitously, also found fresh LIMES...also luckily found some cilantro I had hidden in the freezer -- DELICIOUS....no time for photos, we ate it standing up in the kitchen - my husband had secretly consumed the tortilla chips I had been saving for some such occasion, so we had to make due with grissini!!!

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Your chips look wonderful! I am in for the mexican get together! NOw only if we could find a place....

Cyn

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Lori said...

ha! well I'd offer up my place if I wasn't in the middle of trying to find a new apartment! But hey, if whatever I find is big enough to have people over... it's nachos time!

Or we can always all head to Jackie's place, the tradition Mexican dinner house. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts