Tuesday, October 18, 2005
cars for the students?
 

Today was a presentation at my school of my course. We finally found out what our schedule will be for the first semester, got some information on living in Milan and the rules of the school, and saw our professors. It was quite the event. Scheduled to start at 4pm, it actually started at 5. I should have known, I'm in Italy, nothing starts on time. ;)

Flying high on dayquil, my brain didn't particuarly want to work in English, let alone in Italian. Yet I had no choice. At least I was better off than some students who speak no Italian at all. As the presentation started I still had doubts as to how it was going to work. would they speak in English? Italian? who knew. Well, we soon found out. Italian. And fast Italian at that. I sat in a daze as each professor got up, introduced themselves, said what they teach, and talked about the importance of it in design. While I understood the general ideas of what was being said, there was a lot that I missed. It was a harsh slap in the face of what the next year has to bring.

At one point they kept talking about the school's "macchine" and the students use of them. I was very confussed as "macchine" means "cars." After a couple minutes it finally dawned on me, as I remember that while "macchina" is commonly used for "car," it really means machine. And in this case they were talking about the computers, not cars. Once I realized this everything made sense. But boy was I lost for awhile there.

I hoping that it was a combination of being sick and medicines that slowed me down, and that once I get better I'll be able to think clearer again. In the mean time, I have classes at 9 am tomorrow, and I have a feeling my head is going to be spinning afterwards. I'll write more tomorrow of my impressions of the school and how things work. Perhaps my head will be a little clearer then...

posted by Lori @ 4:12 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts