Friday, October 28, 2005
The taste of home
 

While I find myself in the land of wonderful chocolate, there is one for me that will always taste like home. Golden coins. For as long as I can remember my mom has given me golden coins every year for Christmas. I used to beg for them when I was a kid. I cant explain why, but they have always been my favorite. I'd recognize their taste anywhere.

This morning I decided to stop by the store on the way to class and pick up some chocolate to share with people, since it is the last day of school before Halloween. I thought there had been a section of Halloween candy at the store, but I was wrong. It was Christmas candy, and down on the bottom self, there they were. Golden coins, just like at home, except imprinted as euros.

I quickly bought some. As I made my way to class my mind kept drifting to them in my backpack. I was determined to wait until I got to school though. It turned out that my class was cancelled for the day, so I was only able to hand them out to the few others who didn't get the message and showed up like me, and friends who were there for other classes. Was I disappointed? A bit. I didn't get to share the spirit of Halloween candy with others... But that also means more for me. :)

I ended up waiting until I got home before I had any. I peeled off the golden wrapper, took a bite, and closed my eyes. The taste instantly transported me back to Christmas mornings as a child, going straight to my stalking where there would undoubtedly be coins waiting for me. Everything was exactly the same - the taste, the texture, the hardness, even the wrapper is made of the same foil as when I was a child.

It was unmistakably perfect.

posted by Lori @ 3:58 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts