Sunday, October 30, 2005
Weekend GTG
 

Yesterday I took a quick trip up to the Colico on Lake Como for a get-to-gether with some members from ExPats in Itay. My train was supposed to be getting in at 10.40, and Carole who was hosting the GTG was to be picking me up. Well, I'm sure the train got in on time, but I however was not on it.

I had a string of bad luck yeterday morning. On the way to the metro a lady stopped and asked me for directions. I hate it when people blow me off when I'm lost, and I have memories from last summer of wandering around this exact neighborhood lost trying to find the school for half an hour (which turned out to be on the other side of the station). So I couldnt say no. It would have gone a lot faster had she known where she wanted to go, but she had to stop and get the address out, we had to find the street on the map, then explain to her that yes, we're at lambrate metro, but there are two exits, and we're at the one not marked on the map. trust me. I live here. Anyways, this took about 10 min out of min travel time. When I finally got away and ran down into the subway, I got there just in time to see the metro leaving. Great, have to wait for another. There's a few more minutes. I got to the station with 10 minutes to spare. I ran up the stairs out of the metro, and to the self service machines to get my ticket. The longs where horrible! I waited for 5 min, but as always the people trying to buy tickets had no idea how to use the machine. The station was full - Saturday morning everyone trying to leave town. I remembered that there was a ticket office up by the platform that never seemed to have long lines. So taking a risk and ditching the last 5 minutes of waiting in line, I ran up the stairs to the ticket booth. There was no line, in fact, I wasnt sure if they were even open as the light was still off. But there was someone inside. So in I went. He said that he wouldnt be open for another 15 min. I told him my train left in 5 and that the lines down stairs were terribly long. He looked at me and said itd take about 5 min to get his machine up and working, but that he'd try. So we sat there. waiting. He looked up what track it left from, had the money all out and ready to go once that ticket was in my hand. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity in a little sweaty office with no air, and only extreme heat I had my ticket. I yelled thanks as I went running out of the room and to the track. Of course, on the other side of the platform. I decided to forgo validating my ticket, as I'd just write the date and time on instead. I can be a bit mean, and I always laugh secretly when I see people running through the station trying to catch their train. Well, I was now one of those people. Dodging people and jumping over bags I made my way to the platform, just in time to see the train pull away.

The next train didnt leave for almost 2 hours, and from a different train station. So back to the metro I went, over to Garabaldi station, where I got to hang out and wait. I eventually did make it to Colico at 1, where Carole picked me up from the station on the way to lunch.

Lunch itself was wanderful, cured meats and bread, pasta, more meat dishes, tiramisu, and cafe. Oh, and lots of wine. :D It was great to be able to meet people and put faces to names. And as an added bonus, Jackie and Antonello were able to come! No, they didnt make the drive just for lunch, but were going to be in the area that weekend for a caving convention anyways. Despite being in different parts of the country, Jackie and I have actually managed to see each other quite reguarly so far.

I only really saw the lake from the train ride, but it looked gorgeous, and I cant wait to get back up and explore a bit more! The whole area reminded me a bit of home with the types of trees, and the fact that fall was actually present. The air was unbelieveably fresh, and it was so nice to look out and see something other than grey buildings! Here's a view from the resutraunt.





After lunch we went to a chocolate factory where they sold fresh chocolate at incredibly low prices, I couldnt resist and had to buy some. yummy. Oh, and Jackie brought me my birthday present, and adorable scarf from a shop in Macerata that we had seen. I love it! And as Antonello was sure to point out, this way I wont get sick! (I always seem to be sick when I go to visit them!) Thanks so much for the scarf and for lunch too!



After the chocolate factory everyone said goodbye and went their seperate ways. Before going back to the train station, Carole took me up to see her house. She bought a ruin of a place, and had the entire thing remodelled. She did a wonderful job with it, and the view from her balcony is amazing. She has invited me to stay for a weekend, and I cant wait to take advantage of the offer!

Overall it was a fun relaxing day, and I rode the train home sleepy eyed with a full and happy belly from lunch.

posted by Lori @ 4:55 AM

2 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Lori,
I was so nice to meet you in person. I hope you had a safe trip home. Can't wait to do it again!

Cyn

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I love the scarf and am jealous. I was great to meet you. I hope you'll call if you are ever near Torino.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts