Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Gill Sans - regular
 

When trying to choose a font for oneself, one must first find ways to narrow down the choices as there are so many. I relate it to playing a game of Guess Who, where one asks the broadest questions first, which can eleminate the greatest number of possibilities. Such as “male or female” or in this case “serif or san-serif?”

For me the choice is easy. I am a san-serif. I have always been a san-serif, and I’d venture to guess I always will be a san-serif. I like a good serif font, they are classic, time tested, and reliable. All good characteristics. However, serifs are also traditional, set in their ways, and a bit too formal for me. San Serifs are more fun, relaxed, and modern. They relate to a younger generation, and the prospect and welcoming of new ideas. They represent creativity and innovation.

While I am a san-serif, I am a reliable one. I have been carefully trained over the years, and have a wide range of knowledge and skills. I did not wake up one day and decide I was a designer. Rather I’ve grown, and continue to grow into one. For these reasons I made my next elimination. I am not a ‘bastard’ font that has been crudely thrown together, I am not decorative, and I am not a fad. I am a font that has been carefully crafted and developed, producing strong results. I have a wide family to choose from depending on the situation, which means I can continually be used in new ways.

There is one more question before looking at particulars. Am I a condensed font, an extended font, or somewhere in the middle? Condensed fonts while allowing for more information to be squeezed in, can also be a bit overwhelming in how much they hold. They also tend to be more hurried in how narrow they are, and it is always a race to get the next letter on the page. Extended fonts however, can be a bit too slow. They take their time, and tend to compensate for lack of information by spreading things out. I find myself to be in the middle. I do not put in too much, or too little information. Instead I find a balance. While my projects do not knock one over the head with how much is contained in them, there is always a strong concept and never a need to fill space.

At this point I have a good list of criteria and can explain in more detail the specific aspects of Gill Sans which made me choose it over the others which met the same criteria. Gill Sans is a very clean and professional font. It is very geometric in its angles, with strong verticals, creating a smooth and consistent rhythm. Throughout all of the verticles, there are also occasional strokes thrown in which propel you throw the letters, as happens in any well designed work. The “a,” “c,” “e,” “r,” “s,” & “t” are all examples of this.

While reliable and generally predictable, like me there are always small surprises hidden within. They are often understated and unnoticeable at first glance, but add layers of meaning and concept. The “K” for example, has a slightly longer foot, providing for a strong base, and emphasising sturdiness. The “g” pays homage to tradition in its form, showing that while modern the font still has history and respects the traditions of the past. The “M” has a characteristic which is not particularly common, demonstrating a bit of quirkiness. This being that the middle of the “M” comes only to the x-height, and not all the way to the baseline. This minimizes the over powering nature the “M” which can sometimes occur, and makes it more approachable. It also questions the traditional, and pushes towards new answers and solutions.

Gill Sans is a well-crafted font which exudes both tradition and revolution. When I chose it, I did so for all the reasons above, as well as others which I have not listed. After all, as with a good font, some things should remain a surprise to be discovered further down the road.

posted by Lori @ 6:26 PM

3 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is this the final copy of your required essay? I like it. And I like the challenge of identifying myself with a font. I’ll have to think on that one for a bit. I know a few I’m not. Hmmm .. good assignment. Grazie.

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Lori said...

well, I dont know if I would call it final... or "essay" really. hehe I did have to translate it into Italian, and some things changed then. And then when Stefano corrected my Italian for me, it changed a bit more. But I did have fun writing it. :)

As to be expected, I wrote more than anyone else. some people didnt even write anything, to which the teacher replied - well, bring it next week. gah. what ever happened to firm due dates? oh well.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that more frustration I hear, my dear?

You're used to quality education. I can't imagine how this must frustrate you.

I loved the essay. A + in my book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts