Friday, September 30, 2005
ufficio di immigrazione
 

This morning was my third time waiting in line at the immigration office here in Milano. The first time, when I first arrived in august, I waited in line for 5 hours to get my permit of stay for tourism. During which time I argued with a dozen different people, that yes, even though I was American I NEEDED to get my PdiS for tourism (It is actually required for all americans to file for this within 8 days of entry, needless to say most dont as its not common knowledge, and the police really dont seem to care if an American has one or not).

The second time I went, two weeks ago, I was told after an hour wait that they were not handing out anymore numbers for the day. I then made the mistake of showing them my PdiS for tourism, which then caused the lady at the front desk to begin yelling at me saying that I shouldnt have gotten one for tourism if I was a student. I then had to yell back (as I've learned this is the only way she will listen to you), and explain several times that I had to get my PdiS for tourism because I entered Italy begenning of August, and my student Visa wasnt valid until beginning of Sept (which as well all know, is well more than 8 days later). After about 15 min of yelling back and forth I finally got her to admit that I was right and she was wrong. Then she told me I could either come back at 6 the next morning to wait in line, or make an appointment for the end of the month. Appointment please!

When I made the appointment, it was for 9 am. I asked them what time I should show up to wait in line, they told me to come between 9 and 10, and that I wouldnt need to wait in line, but could come straight in, get a number, and go inside to wait. Yeah right.

Needless to say when I showed up at 8.45 this morning, there was already a long line of people (way more than would actually be able to get in that day before they closed), and when I went straight in (through the exit) and tried to get my number, the lady (yes, the SAME lady) told me and another girl who had showed up at the same time, that we had to go outside and wait in line and come in through the other door. Apparently how it works, is that even though you have an appointment, you still have to wait in line to get a number. Everybody who was in the line either also had appointments for that morning, or they were waiting to make appointments. One line. One person working the desk. About 200 people in line before us. Not gonna happen.

So in the true spirit of Italy we said to hell with the line, and pushed our way forward cutting ahead of people and got into the line at the front. We still had an hour wait before we got our numbers and were able to go inside. I got number 55. When I got inside, they were on 43. It was 11 am. You'd think I wouldnt have to wait long. yeah, that's what you'd think. guess again. I still needed to make photocopies of all my documents, and take my photos in the little booth. First mistake I made, was choose the photocopier next to the photobooth. Apparently the concept of putting 3 euros in the slot, pushing the button and smiling is too much for people. I had 5 people asking me how it worked. Meanwhile, after about 15 photocopies, I realized that I had been putting all of my originals on the scanner the wrong way. So I had 15 photocopies of the middle of all my pages. Good thing I brought lots of change. Eventually I got them all made, and got my photos taken.

It was now 11.30, they were on number 47. Off to the chairs I went to wait. Finally around 12 they were on number 54. I waited, knowing my turn was next. All the sudden I noticed a new window has opened, and they were on number 59! WAIT! 60. 61. 62. they started fliping through numbers, giving people about 15 seconds to show up. Me and the lady who had been in line behind me both ran up to the front. great, what do we do now. A different both in front of us flipped to number 63. We ran up to it, and showed him our numbers, explaining that we hadn't seen our numbers come up on the other booth. Luckily, he was really nice. He said first he had to help number 63, and then he would help us. Okay. 10 min later it was finally my turn. Everything went relatively smoothly, except for that the consulate in SF had stamped the letter from my school that said that they would find me housing (a lie, they just wrote the letter to satisfy the consulates need for me to have housing), instead of stamping the letter that said I was actually enrolled at the school as a student. Luckily I had a photocopy of the letter from my school. The guy was also confussed as to why I had multiple student visas (uhhh maybe because I studied here before?) and as to why I went to Macerata. All in all though, it went smoothly.

I was then sent to wait in another line, for my number to come up. Fingerprinting time! The last two PdiS I've gotten (studio and turismo) I hadnt had my fingerprints taken. I'm not quite sure why I had to this time. But whatever. Another half hour later it was done, and I was finally waiting by the final window for them to call my name. Another half hour, and I had my PdiS and was out the door.

Thank god I dont have to do that again for at least a year.

posted by Lori @ 8:40 AM

2 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Lori,
Believe me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! After jumping through all these hoops, we should be allowed to stay in Italy FOREVER!
Cyn

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lori said...

No kidding! I'm just glad that I dont have to deal with that again for at least a year! (hopefully!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts