Friday, September 30, 2005
Italian Banking Part II
 

After my eventful morning at the immigration office, I decided to trek out to the bank in my second attempt to cash my check. When I arrived at the very large piazza where the bank was supposed to be located at, I wondered around for awhile, looking. I finally spotted a sign for the bank across the street. Off I went. As I got closer to the sign though, it became apparent that it was a large parking lot. well where the hell is the bank at? Just as I was about to ask someone, I spoted another sign, about a door. It was inside the fenced parking lot. Shit. I wondered around for awhile, and to my surprised actually found an open gate to go in. As I approaced the bank, I noticed it was a bit different than the other, there was only one door to go through at this one, and it opened automatically for me.

Once inside I grabbed a number (Italians love those little machines that spit out numbers. I blame the machines for the Italians lack of ability to stand in a line), and again waited. This time my wait was only about 5 min though, and when my number came up, there was a nice little desk and chair for me to sit down in.

Cashing the check was extremely easy. I just handed it, and my passport to the teller, and 5 minutes later I was walking out the door with my money. It felt strange as I left. That had been too easy. Was I still in Italy?

posted by Lori @ 9:10 AM

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

Actually it's the opposite. Since people don't line up, they started to put up those machines (about early 1980's when the first ones were installed) to help keep track of the lines. THey aare especially nice at the supermarket when there is a crowd. You collect your number for the fresh affettati area, colect other items while waiting for your number to come up, shop there too, check out ^___^

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I'm always afraid of missing my turn, so I never stray too far from the counter. I need to learn to conqour that fear! Although at the di per di here Ive yet to see it busy enough where anyone actually takes a number. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts