Friday, December 09, 2005
language check
 

The TV at my old apartment was in Stefano's room, so I hardly ever watched it. Actually, I'd guess that I have watched less than 1 hour of tv since October. At my new apartment though, I have a tv in my room. It stayed off for the first few days, as I have been really busy. but the last two days I've needed a break from work, and have ventured to turning it on. I've been greeted by old friends, tv shows I havent seen in months, and something else. The ability to understand.

Before when I watched tv, I could understand the basic story line, what was happening, and a good portion of the dialogue. Still, I had to think about it, had to concentrate on the Italian. Now I find myself sitting with the tv on, while chatting to friends online. I'm not watching, only listening, and yet I know what's happening. It didnt even occour to me at first that it was in a different language. I no longer sit and translate the words in my head. They're there. I know them. In fact, when I stop and try to translate things into English, rather than just listening, I often find myself getting blogged down and lagging behind. It's a good feeling to be able to understand without trying.

So while my speaking stills are still a little slow at times, I have faith that my brain knows the words, it's just a matter of finding where they are hidden away when I want to use them.

posted by Lori @ 3:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts