Thursday, January 19, 2006
Finally a pass!
 

Well, after a month of buying tickets daily for the metro, I finally went today and got a metro pass. Much cheaper. I'd been waiting, as I needed first to get my codice fiscale. And to get this I had to find a day when I could afford to wait in long lines - or so I thought. The secretary at the school insisted that I had to go to the main office in the center, and that I had best get there early in the morning as it could take a few hours. Well, considering I had class everymorning, this wasnt the best option. Then, one of my friends told me that he got his in an office by the school, and it only took about 15 min! Apparently there are various offices throughout Milano that you can go to. The one in the center gets the most traffic as it seems to be the best known by foreigners. Most of the people who go to the other offices are Italians doing other paperwork. So last week I got my letter of attendance from the school, and off I went during an afternoon break. Normally it would have taken about 30 min to walk there, but I was lucky enough to get a ride from Egidio, who then came in with me and did most of the talking, so it was a smooth process. The whole thing (including getting there and back) took about half an hour. Not too shabby.

School has been really busy and hasnt given me any more breaks until today. So after class off I headed to the ATM office at Loreto. I decided to avoid the one at the Duomo, as no doubtably there would be more people there. It only took about 10 min, and two forms (as on the first I accidently used lowercase letters - a no no). My monthly pass isnt good till Feburary, as the guy insisted it was too late in January to make it worth buying the months pass (even though I know it would have saved a few euros). Instead though he suggest that for next week I just get a weekly pass! I had no idea there were weekely passes. For 9 euros I get to use the metro for a week. I wish I had known that before, as I've been paying between 10-15 each week. grrrrr. So for the next couple of days I'm still on daily tickets, but then next week I get to use my beautiful scratch off what week it is and stamp it once ticket. And come February I'll be able to travel all I want for the low price of 17euros a month.

I didn't actually get my identity card today - gotta go back in a couple months to pick that up he said. In the mean time I have my receipt. The nice thing about not having the card though, is that I dont have to scan anything, just walk straight in, and show my receipt if they ask for it. Once I get the card, you have to scan it everytime you enter and leave the metro/bus/tram. Not that big of a hassel, but still. :D

Funny thing happened today in the metro. I was coming up the escalator, and there was an asian woman standing at the top. she was looking down the escalator, and I thought maybe she was waiting for someone. Then, after I got off she started trying to walk down it! She quickly realized that wouldnt work as she almost fell backwards. I couldnt help but laughing a bit - after all, she was okay, if not a little shooken up. Why she didnt take the stairs down in the first place (they're RIGHT next to the escalator) I dont know. I just couldnt believe that she was standing there studying it, could see that it was moving up, ad then tried to walk down! Even if by some chance she has never seen an escalator before, she should have been able to figure out that it moved up after how long she was watching it. Oh well. I guess some things are just over peoples heads.

posted by Lori @ 12:40 PM

1 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

What is wrong with people these days? I have had trouble figuring out how to flush some toilets in Italy, but I have never had a problem with the steps. It must have been funny to watch! Glad she didn't get hurt.
Cyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts