Sunday, January 01, 2006
New Years Eve
 

Caterina showed up at my house around 8pm last night... and so did the snow! Luckily by the time we left the house around 11, the snow had pretty much stopped. We had a few drinks at home before we left, and then headed off to the center. We were unsure of what we would do, but new there would be something happening at the duomo.


The galleria and duomo


one of the concerts set up by the city


the galleria


caterina and me

At the duomo we found TONS of people. mostly other foreigners, or other poor people like ourselves who didnt want to pay for the discos. A little before midnight we decided to head to the castello where the fireworks would be going off. It reached midnight at some point while we were walking along, but we dont know exactly when as there was no big count down or louder celebration. The fireworks from the castle were rather lame... maybe they were better from the other side, not sure. But either way we had fun.


the walk from the duomo to the castle


the castle in the distance


me and caterina again

A little after midnight we decided to head back to the duomo, and in search of a cheap bar I'd heard about. When we arrived back at the piazza it was completely different than an hour before... so many of the people had left. Anyways, we wandered for awhile in search of the bar, finally found it, and realized that we were the only people who found it. It was sooo empty! We used the bathroom and quickly left. We wandered around some more, and eventually stopped and talked to a group of guys for awhile, although they really werent that interesting. After that we headed back towards the duomo in search of a taxi to go home. Never has it been so difficult to find a taxi. Everyone wanted one, and none were driving by.

After while we gave up and decided to get something to eat. And where of course is open at 3 am on new years? McDonalds!
Now you know I must have been drunk if I ate at McDonalds. Other than my brief stop one night with Kari last year for some fries, I havent eaten at McDonalds in probably 8 years or so... If not longer. Anyways, as horrible as mcdonalds is, it tasted sooooo good. We downed those burgers and fries.

After McDonalds we decided to search again for a taxi, this time while walking. Figured if we walked, we'd be warmer, and we'd be closer to home so it'd cost less. Also, as the mass of people waiting for a taxi by the duomo seemed to have only grown, we figured it may be faster to walk the whole way home. So off we went. we didnt have a map, and I'd never walked from my new apartment to the center. I had a vague idea of what direction it was. So we went that way. We may have zig zagged a bit, but we eventually did find Corso Como, which I thought I knew how to get home from. However, my memory from the map was that there should be a street in front of us that we would walk straight along, and get to my house. However, in reality, there wasnt. So after about 20 min of standing on the corner we eventually got a taxi. We also go new years prices, as the ride which was only a few min cost the same amount as the taxi the weekend before from the other end of town. oh well.

When we got home we collapsed into bed. I dont know exactly what time it was... 4.30 maybe? I feel sorry for Caterina though, poor girl has to work all day today!

posted by Lori @ 8:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




 
  name: Lori McKee
location: Virgina, USA
 
  view my portfolio
view my complete blogger profile




    Scooter & Fargus




Blogroll Random Sites
Previous Posts